Sweatshop ’til you drop (continuation)

(Full article begins on print)

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that only 10 percent of all clothing donated ends up getting reused. The other 90 percent is broken down and used to produce new clothing and or is simply unusable and scrapped, according to one.org.

Inevitably, consumer perspective needs to change before the irreversible  impact on our earth becomes too prominent to ignore.

In a student conducted poll of 120 students, it shows that 76 percent of the students polled, frequently shopped at a store that has a record of using sweatshops in developing nations.

Clothing is a way for self expression, and serves as a silent statement that speaks for one’s personality. As our “chosen skin,” clothing is what we want others to see that has a powerful capability of bringing confidence to the wearer. So why is it that people often do not stop and ask the question of “where do my clothes coming from?”

In a society that should always be striving to improve the quality of life for not only us but everyone around us, the continued use of sweatshops around the globe should be brought to the attention of everyone alike. It is our responsibility to uphold our values and morals to ensure that large apparel companies can not capitalize from exploiting workers in developing nations. The next time you decide what to buy, be conscious that all pieces of clothing are touched by human hands that have family, friends, and hopes and through buying that garment you hold a direct link to their work and well-being.

So what can you do?

  1. Restrain from shopping at stores that do not have future plans on how to create sustainable clothing and providing their workers a fair wage
  2. Shop at stores that do uphold these values
  3. Sign petitions in your state and make it a known problem for everyone around you


Be the first to comment on "Sweatshop ’til you drop (continuation)"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


%d bloggers like this: