The most wonderful time of the year is rapidly approaching. That means that a bit of chaos is in store for the upcoming weeks. Whether it is chaotic stores on black friday, crashing websites on cyber monday, controlling a crazy drunk uncle at Christmas, or stressing to find the perfect presents for friends, everyone needs a few ways to stay unfazed by the holiday craze.
If you only have a few minutes:
- Put on a favorite song and sing along. According to Time Magazine, singing releases endorphins which is the hormone associated with elation and also relaxation. Here is playlist full of the top songs of 2016: https://open.spotify.com/user/filtr.ie/playlist/6zGbgDCvY2ph9e80EqTKVd
- Take a few deep breaths. Breathing deeply can help focus the brain on important tasks by allowing more oxygen to flow to it. Videos on YouTube can help if focusing is hard. This one further explains the benefits to deep breathing and helps you keep a good breathing pace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYQsRBNYdPk
- Turn off social media for a minute. Watch a video that while make you laugh instead. It has been proven that laughing can reduce stress. Other studies have shown that just by smiling, mood can be improved. Go watch some cute puppy videos or the funniest videos that youtube has.
- Go take a hot shower. The hot water can help clear the mind and warm up the body in the cold winter months weather.
If you have a few hours:
- Brew a festive cup of hot chocolate or tea if you aren’t into chocolate. Turn on Netflix and let the movie marathon begin. Here is a list of 11 celebrities’ favorite movies for the holiday season: https://www.buzzfeed.com/kristinharris/celebrity-favorite-holiday-movies?utm_term=.gsrrX6Pgxw#.slkABkrjX1
- Grab a friend and some flour. Baking holiday cookies is always fun with a friend. Just try not to get flour all over the kitchen. Here is an easy holiday cookie recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/soft-snickerdoodle-cookies-97496
- Gather up a group of friends and go ice skating. Ice skating is a fun and festive way to hang out with friends that can create some timeless memories.
- Head to a yoga class. Yoga is known for it’s calming influence on people due to a release of endorphins as well as the calming nature of yoga in general. It is a good way to let go of pent up stress and escape for an hour or so.