In honor of this winter, I found this adorable snowman project. It doesn’t require too many materials, but the great thing about this project is that once you assemble the actual body of the snowman, you can follow the directions for decorating, or you can be creative with it. All you need is:
- White yarn (If you decide to buy your pom-poms then you can ignore this one).
- Pipe cleaners (The color doesn’t matter).
- Twigs (Make sure that they are thin pieces).
- Ribbons (An important note about the ribbon: it should be fairly thin).
- I recommend some sort of buttons, but you can use almost anything you want, such as rhinestones or beads.
- Glue. You can use any craft glue from a store near you.
- Anything else you think you’d like. The snowman is a great opportunity to show your creativity.
Now you have all of your materials. Go ahead and start!
- First, you can either buy some pom-poms at your local craft store, or you can make them. If you decide to make them, here’s a link to some easy and quick instructions. The pom-poms must be two different sizes. One should be a little smaller than the other.
- If you choose to make your pom-poms, you will end up with an extra length of string that you used to tie the pom-pom. Leave a lengthy piece of the string to attach the pom poms.
- If you bought pom-poms, you will need to hot glue them. The best way to do this is to glue them. Make a little circle of glue on the smaller pom pom, them press the two together, and make sure that they stay together until the glue has dried.
- Use the long piece of string on each pom-pom to connect them. You just need to tie a simple knot. Make sure it is tight, then tie one more not to secure it. This will bring the pom-poms together.
- Trim any extra yarn.
- Now, you can decorate the snowman pretty much however you want. However I’ll include some of the basic accessories for your snowman.
For the eyes
- All you need are two little black beads. If you can’t get these, you can use felt or even googly eyes.
For the nose
- You can cut out a little triangle of felt or glue on a little orange bead.
There are plenty of other items you can make for your snowman.
- If you want to make earmuffs, cut a small piece of pipe cleaner.
- Turn each end in on itself in a little spiral.
- Curve it over the smaller pom pom. (The snowman’s head). Now glue it on.
- To add a scarf, all you have to do is put a few dabs of glue around the neck of the snowman.
- Then you tie a 3-4 inch strip of ribbon around the snowman’s neck.
- Now to make the arms, put a dab of glue on the end of each twig, and place them into the sides of the bigger yarn ball.
- Make sure they are high up on the ball. They should be just below the “neck” of the snowman.
Now, these are just a few recommendations for how to dress your snowman. You can go ahead and create some accessories of your own! This is a great opportunity to express yourself and be creative, all while embracing the holiday spirit!